Discipline is a concept that all of us are aware of, but only a very few or handful of us truly understand it. The most successful people in life exert discipline on a daily basis effortlessly as they have made this a way of their daily routines and life. It is vital to each one of us and without it, I for sure feel a lot of chaos around.
To be a great leader in any field of your life, you must constantly display restraint or self-control. Not giving into something you truly want easily, is a sign of strength and discipline. Making the right decisions in life can make or break you, and a disciplined person tends to make the right decisions almost all the time. Regardless of where you exert this self-restraint, it will only help to promote achievement in your life.
Discipline brings stability, control and a defined structure into a person’s life. It teaches a person to be responsible and respectful. Our society is based in observance of these well-defined rules. If there were no discipline, people would do whatever they wanted which in itself would be so chaotic. It promotes a good human behavior and make the society around us a more enjoyable place for everyone to live in.
The ability for an individual to have self-restraint allows them to behave in a consistently stringent and controlled manner. A lack of this ability can have disastrous results. Do you think any company is going to tolerate a person who is consistently late to work or who procrastinates in doing their work?
Take sports for example; discipline is the fundamental aspect on which sports flourish. Every player has to adhere to the rules of the game. That is exactly why the umpires and referees exist. There is penalization for those who do not adhere.
Persons in higher authority or management should demonstrate high levels of self-control always; they cannot just speak whatever they feel or however they see fit. A smart leader knows when to hold his tongue and when to speak. Discipline helps to train a person’s mind and character, building a sense of self-control and the practice of obedience.
Discipline can be categorized into two types: internal and external.
Internal discipline is your self-restraint and your ability to differentiate right from wrong.
External discipline is according to societal norms and rules, laid down for the betterment of people, processes and society as a whole like following traffic signs, etc.
We all have some great qualities within us but it is not enough to just possess these; we need the discipline and ability to manage them as well.
Many of us are influenced by instant pleasures. People lacking self-control are unable to look at the long-term effects of their actions that they undertake today. That also proves why this is such a crucial skill to have in life. It is probably one of the most if not, the most crucial factor when trying to achieve a goal. It allows you to differentiate and choose from different options that come your way and by following these options you can garner the success you sought out for. It also gives you the power to overcome any obstacles that come your way.
“Discipline is the bridge between your goals and your accomplishment.”
This ability is not something that in-born but can be honed and developed at any given time if you put your mind to it. Make promises to yourself and make sure you deliver on those promises. Make the genuine effort to align your actions and behaviors with your thoughts. Exercise; get your mind and body into a defined direction and work on controlling them to follow ur plan. Make your mind strong enough to resist the urge to give into your negative thoughts or behaviors, instead focus on all of the positive attributes that you have.
Self-discipline is one of the most important and useful skills everyone should possess. This skill comes handy and is of use in every aspect of our lives. Most of the people I have come across have acknowledged its importance, but very few have done something to strengthen it.
People think that self-discipline is being harsh toward yourself or living a limited, restrictive lifestyle whereas its the complete contrary to this common belief. Self discipline means self control, which is a sign of your inner strength and control of yourself, your actions, and your reactions. All this when they work together, imagine the person they create. A person who does not get rattled fast is someone who is in complete control of his plans and actions. This works every time in your favor if you are able to stay disciplined.
Why do I say that this happens to be one of the most important traits for success as well? Well self discipline gives you the power to stick to your decisions and follow them through, without changing your mind, and is therefore, one of the important requirements for achieving your goals. Many of us fail in reaching our goals because we take a decision but more than often are unable to carry it through. We change our minds too very often which does not help at all in reaching the goal in mind. In fact I am sure you would agree with me when I say that many of the times we change the goal itself that we started for since we are weak in our discipline. For example we make a goal to lose a certain amount of weight (many of us in this world today plan this) and mid-way lose focus and end up losing the goal itself. How about all those New Year resolutions that we all make; how many of us actually complete each one of the ones we make? That would give you your answer on how important this aspect is.
The possession of this skill enables you to continue with your decisions and plans no matter what comes your way till you accomplish them. It also demonstrates the inner strength you have, helping you to overcome many things in life whatever they maybe like addictions, procrastination or even laziness. It helps you to follow through with your goals, dreams and whatever you have your eyes set on. When you are disciplined what your heart desires your mind helps you achieve.
Discipline has many advantages and helps one to hone and acquire the qualities below:
1. Focus: Being disciplined helps one stay focused towards his work, activities or goals. A person with strong goals need razor sharp focus towards his work in everyday life. Discipline helps keep the mind focused on work or goals avoiding mental disturbances.
2. Self Control: A person with self discipline has more self control over himself compared to others. He chooses his words or behavior carefully while talking to others avoiding himself from being entangled in silly problems later. These problems do eat away a lot of time in the corporate world today which can be avoided with self restraint. This way you can also build good relations with people and the co-workers around you.
3. Finishing things on time: Being disciplined helps get things done faster and in the desired timelines. Self discipline like being on time always helps get things done faster and is far more effective. Leaving 10 minutes early and reaching a little early will not cost a thing; in fact it will help be more safe and always precise on time. Most of times it’s a much appreciated trait to have to be on time for your meetings. People respect that.
4. More Time Everyday: A disciplined person has more time in a day than an undisciplined person. So more time means there is more chance to do extra works or finish other pending works. Procrastination and laziness in work can be overcome by being disciplined..
5. Stay Stress Free: One of our biggest tensions is our routine daily lives. This is an internal anxiety or an unknown fear about the outcome of the work at hand. Staying disciplined at work helps to see that the work is planned well and executed in time so there is no stress. So discipline helps one stay stress-free, increases your self-esteem and also research proves that it helps you get out of a possible depression.
6. Stay Active, Stay Healthy: Discipline is a way of a Life and a positive one at that. It helps give a positive outlook to our living. It helps create enthusiasm and self confidence from within. So it keeps one active instead of being lazy. Disciplined life helps formulate good habits like taking food, having a bath, exercise, walking and sleeping at right times ultimately leading to a healthy lifestyle.
Exercise and and a healthy lifestyle will fine tune the body and mind so well that it becomes a way of life for you. Being healthy only rejuvenates your mind and soul while preparing you for the future ahead.
There is a saying, ”Discipline yourself and others won’t need to.”
It’s completely up to you whether you would like to lead a disciplined lifestyle with all its advantages or the undisciplined one with all the regrets that would come along-with it.
“Discipline helps build your Character and hence according to me its the true Test of your Character”.
2 thoughts on ““Discipline” a true test of your “Character””
Your blogs are really amazing and inspiring 👍👍
Your blogs are truly inspiring!